Thursday, March 1, 2012

An Encounter with Andrew Breitbart

I was sitting in the lounge of the Marriott Wardman Hotel in Washington, DC. The speeches at CPAC were over for the day and I was talking with a woman who I had met earlier. Suddenly she got very excited, pointed to a man standing nearby and said, “That’s Andrew Breitbart!”

“Andrew

AFP Photo

Mr. Breitbart was flirting with some attractive women (there were many of them at CPAC), having pictures taken with them, and so on. He seemed to be enjoying this; my companion and I debated whether to interrupt him to say hello.

We decided to do it.

We introduced ourselves. I shook Mr. Breitbart’s hand and thanked him for all he did to advance the cause of the Right. He was very gracious.

Of course, I had no way of knowing that less than three weeks later he would be dead.

His was a great voice for freedom. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to tell him so.

There’s a lesson in there. Some opportunities never come again. Grab them when you can. That's what Mr. Breitbart did.

Rest in Peace, Andrew Breitbart

The Clouds that gather round the setting sun
Do take a sober colouring from an eye
That hath kept watch o'er man mortality;
Another race hath been, and other palms are won.
- William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

No comments:

Post a Comment